Thursday, July 06, 2006

I'm empty handed, but alive in Your hands

Lately I've been giving my friends a lot of advice about love and relationships. And it occurs to me that I haven't exactly followed the advice I give. I tell one friend sex too soon in a relationship can ruin it. Yet look at my track record. Not the greatest. I tell another friend that she can't worry more about someone else's feelings than her own. Yet every relationship I've ever had has been more about the other person than myself. I give up everything I am for the sake of the other person. Yet I "preach" the opposite. I don't know if it's that I'm not practicing what I preach. Because everything that's happened is in the past, whereas the advice is in the present. So is it that I'm giving advice based on my experiences? I don't know. I do know that the advice I give is truly what I think is the right thing to do, and it differs from person to person and is based on their individual situation. I don't believe that a specific situation is the same for every person. Therefore there isn't one piece of advice that would work the same in one situation for every individual. I try to be to my friends what no one was to me. I try to be someone that they can talk to, someone that will be honest with them. I don't purposely try to hurt their feelings, but I don't tell them what they want to hear. I tell them how I see it. I just wonder if I see things differently than they do, sometimes. What I don't know is how my morals influence my advice, and how much they should influence it.

1 comment:

Jiselle said...

Cute blog...you sound alot like me...:}