Friday, October 05, 2007

Great Expectations

We are coming up on what might possibly be my favorite season. Unfortunately, here we don't have the changing of the leaves. When I lived up north, I was a lot younger and didn't appreciate the beauty of the changing of the seasons. Now that I live in a climate where this change is drastically different (and less noticeable) I find myself missing the changing of the colors, and the smell of fall. Living up north, we had a farm. The house was heated by a furnace, not central heating. So that meant that we had to cut wood, and stack it in the basement. I don't miss the heavy labor involved, but I do miss the smell of burning wood. Here, all we really get is the dropping of the temperature. Which is nice, don't get me wrong. It's just not the same. I really am excited, though, about the cooler weather. I'm especially excited about the holidays. They've always been a big deal in my family. We go all out with decorations and stuff. The best part, though, is all the baking that gets done in my house. That's another smell I associate with fall, is all the baking that gets done. Yeah, I'm pretty sure October-January is my favorite time of year. I can't wait until it cools off enough to where I can start knitting stuff again. It's just too warm the rest of the year.

No comments: