Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Stupid feelings.... who needs them?

Do you ever feel unappreciated?

Sometimes I sure do.

I know lately that I haven't really been on top of things when it comes to helping out my mom around the house. What with school and the semi-depression that I was in, I just didn't have it in me to do much around the house.

But my whole life I've always been the one to help my mom. Whether it was by cleaning the house, cooking, whatever. I've been able to cook an entire meal by myself since I was about 10. I'm actually pretty proud of that. It seems these days a lot of girls my age can't even cook for themselves, let alone a family. But that's not the point. The point is, I've always helped my mom out when she needed it.

Just to compare, when I was a senior in high school (and the year after that I still lived at home) I had a job, went to school, and helped out around the house. I cooked pretty much whenever I was home for dinner, I cleaned and did laundry. At the same age, my sister barely takes care of her cat, let alone the rest of the house. So it kinda hurts a little every time one of my parents say that I never do anything around the house. Or when they make little side comments every time I say that I'll do something. Or when they act surprised when they come home and I've cleaned the kitchen. I don't know, maybe I'm just overreacting, but I don't think so. I've even had family members tell me privately that they see how much I do for my parents and how it often goes unnoticed.

Aside from that, every time my mom needs something, she asks me. And I do it. Not that I mind doing it, but at least acknowledge that I do everything she asks me to. When I say something about how their comments suck they just brush it off and act like I'm exaggerating when I say I do everything. Like just now, for example. I'm in my bedroom, with the door shut. Both of my parents are in the living room, and I got called to go turn the air conditioning down, even though they're in there. I get my mom water, her medicine, I run errands for her whenever she asks me, and I rarely complain.

So tonight I made a comment to my dad about how he should help my mom out with the pies tonight because she's making dinner for him tomorrow. When he asked what I was doing tomorrow, and I said that I would be helping my mom out (which I do every year) he laughed and said "yeah... we'll see."

1 comment:

heiresschild said...

i've been in your shoes, so i understand from your perspective. when i became a parent, i really tried hard not to do some of the things that were done to me while growing up. i had to chuckle about being called into the room to turn down the air conditioner. been there, done that too. sometimes i know we don't understand why things are they way they are, but keep being Amber and doing it from your heart. even if you never get a word of appreciation, you'll feel better in the long run knowing you helped out and did what's right. thank you for reminding me to let my daughter know how appreciated she is. we parents fall short sometimes, but we really do love our children. thank you Amber.