Saturday, November 03, 2007

Especially for Heiresschild

She had expressed interest in making her own Christmas cards. So I figured instead of leaving a ridiculously long (and detailed) series of comments on her blog, I'd just write out a post instead. That way other people can enjoy it. Keep in mind, this is just how I'm doing mine. There are a hundred different ways to make it, depending on how creative you want to get and how much money you want to spend. For inspiration, I peruse the Craftster boards and look at other people's cards. (Specifically the paper boards) In case you were wondering, I absolutely love that site. Okay. so here goes.

a list of supplies:

  • cardstock (you can get this at walmart in the aisle where you'd find printer paper and all that. 100 sheets for 5 bucks. That's good considering 1 sheet makes one card!) Just take one sheet, and fold it in half like a card.
  • Christmas templates. I just google searched (on images) different Christmas things (candy canes, trees, stars, etc) for templates and bookmarked the ones I liked the best. Then I will print them out and use them to trace onto colored paper (you can get any) and glue onto the card. You can get all fancy and get stamps to make letters, but I think I'm just going to print out greetings onto the cardstock (they can go through the printer!) If you google search "greeting card template" it will show you how to print your own greeting cards. Some people are pretty tech savvy and will design their card on the computer, but I like to be crafty.
  • I also have tissue paper that I'm considering using as a background (kind of like a church window type of thing?)
  • I also have a bunch of old Christmas cards that I might cut up and use on my cards.
  • For envelopes, you can go out and buy a bunch. Or you could look online and find out how to make your own. Personally (because it's the easiest) I'm going to go to Goodwill and see if I can find boxes of greeting cards and buy them and use the envelopes that they come with.
  • You can use colored pencils or markers (if you're decent at drawing, which I'm not so much) or stamps.
I think that's pretty much it. If you go to the craftster site, just type in the search box Christmas cards and see what comes up. It's pretty amazing some of the things people make!

2 comments:

heiresschild said...

thanx amber, i appreciate you taking the time to give the instructions, and that was a good idea to do a post on it because some people read even though they may not leave comments, and they may want to know also. i'm definitely going to try my hand at them.

heiresschild said...

i'll keep you posted amber. i'm talking to my daughter in california on the phone, and she's telling me she made her daughter's 1st birthday invitations, and is telling me all about how she made them, the supplies she used, etc.