Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mmm pasta salad.

I'm so grateful my family was never one of those that went out to eat constantly or ordered in when I was growing up. Granted, we did go out to eat once in a while, but mostly my mom made fantastic down-home food. Pork chops and mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, green beans, and if we were really lucky a pie for dessert. Our family gatherings are always around food. While eating lunch, we will discuss what we are having for dinner.

I'm reminded of my mom's cooking today because I made lunch for myself using a recipe that she always used. It's not one of those ridiculously complicated recipes (though I love those too). This is just a simple pasta salad. But it brings back so many memories. Memories of summers up north, with the sliding doors open, and the smell of barbecue coming through the house. There weren't many days during summer that we stayed in the house very often. The raspberry/blackberry bush was ripe for the picking. There were 10 acres on which the possibilities were endless.

It's neat how a simple dish can evoke so many memories.

No comments: