Monday, June 11, 2007

He set me on fire and I am burning alive with His breath in my lungs I am coming undone

"and I cannot hold it in and remained composed. Love's taken over me and so I propose letting myself go. I am letting myself go. You are my joy."
(You Are My Joy by David Crowder Band)

There's something to be said about songs that touch you deep down in your soul. Plus it doesn't hurt when they're fun to sing along to.

On a completely different note, I've been thinking lately about church. For quite a long time now, I've been a little unsatisfied with the church I attend here at home. I can't really say that there's anything "wrong" with it. The worship band is good, the pastor is amazing, and they're doing awesome things in the community. This church strives to be everything that a Biblical church ought to be.

When I think of what I want in a church, this church falls short. I don't feel at home there. I don't feel that I belong. Because it's so large, it's hard to get to know people. When I picture the kind of church that I want to belong to, it's so much smaller. Full of little old ladies that know your name, and actually care. Not that people here don't care, but it's a different kind of caring. I want a church that sings hymns, at least once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I love contemporary worship music, over half of the songs on my ipod are contemporary worship songs. Still, I love the old hymns. I want a church that feels like home. The church that I attend at school is much closer to what I want in a church, but it's still not everything that I'm looking for. I think that when I get back I'm going to try out a couple different churches to see if there's one that does.

Speaking of the church at school, the worship band (which is awesomely talented) is releasing an album in 2 weeks. I really really want to be there for it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to and that makes me sad.

I feel so blessed today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was searching for that david crowder song on google & your blog came up...i'm a stranger but i just wanted to say what you wrote was really true & its encouraging to see people thinking about what church means to them, seeking something more & and not just 'settling' for what they have :)

Anonymous said...

Ask not what your church can do for you, rather what you can do for your church, and more importantly - what you can do for Jesus.