Friday, April 20, 2007

amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found was blind but now I see

"my chains are gone, I've been set free. My God my Savior has ransomed me. And like a flood, His mercy reigns, unending love. Amazing grace."

I don't understand why it's so hard for me to grasp that concept. Perhaps because human love, the kind of love that I'm used to dealing with, is conditional. How often we hear that someone has "fallen out of love" or done something considered so reprehensible that it is "impossible to love" that person. If you do x, y, and z on my list, I will love you forever, but if you do a, b, and c I can never love you. People wonder why they have to work so hard to fall in love, that's because there's a fear that if you just give it away, people will take advantage of you. And they do.

You would think that, considering the nature of human love, I would be open and accepting of an unconditional, eternal love. Instead, I'm skeptical. I can't grasp the concept, and I don't understand why I'm deserving of such a love.

No comments: